Dive Leadership Course
Now that you have earned your Master Diver rating, many divers make the decision to become a dive leader. The SDI Dive Master course will challenge you with new techniques, skills, knowledge and adventure to become an exceptional dive leader. A Dive master, will learn how to assist Instructors with Open Water Diver courses and to conduct Snorkeling and Scuba Skills Update courses on their own. The Divemaster will lead certified divers on underwater tours, work on dive boats and lead group trips for the dive center. A Divemaster is extremely valuable to the dive center to make sure divers have plenty of fun on their diving adventures.
Be at least 18 years of age.
Have a Master Diver rating, including Nitrox Specialty
Have logged at least 50 open water dives.
Own personal scuba equipment of leadership quality (new and up to date).
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- 800 metre swim with mask, snorkel, and fins non-stop without the use of arms in less than 17 minutes
- 400 metre swim on the surface, non-stop, any stroke, without the use of swimming aids, in less than 10 minutes; swim goggles permitted
- Scuba skills – minimum equipment: all equipment required for a SDI Dive Leader
- In water, transport another diver in full scuba equipment at a quick pace for 4 minutes
- Demonstrate a complete rescue scenario satisfactorily
- Perform underwater skills with and without a mask
- Swim on the surface, in full scuba equipment, using the snorkel, 100 metres
- Bring a diver, simulating unconsciousness, up from depth, not greater than 6 metres/20 feet; at the surface swim them 100 metres in less than 4 minutes
Minimum Requirements to pass this course:
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Divemaster written examination, or online version with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation
- Complete all water requirements
- Demonstrate to an active SDI Instructor the ability to solve in-water and out-of-water diver problems
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
- Operate as a Divemaster in a wide variety of environments
Course tuition $699 + processing fees, on-line elearning kit $399.95